Open Call; TLC for HMK
Hotel Maria Kapel [HMK] is looking for an artist/designer/maker or a group of creative producers to help us rethink the spaces and give some TLC* to the old chapel that HMK inhabits, hereby mainly focusing on the entrance area and the offices (see photo’s).
(Our Open Call is closed.)
HMK is an artist-in-residence, exhibition space and cinema for contemporary visual art in the city centre of Hoorn. The studio/exhibition space of HMK is located in an early 16th century chapel that now functions as an exhibition space with a café, shop and office spaces in its vestibule. The organisation consists of six part-time employees.
The Maria Chapel is a wonderful space, but as with all of us humans, an old body needs to be cared for. HMK is therefore looking for an artist/designer/producer-in-residence who will think together with the organisation as we investigate what it means to care – for each other and for the spaces we work in and inhabit. Who do we care about and for? How can we build practices and spaces of care within the limits of an exploitative system, with which we are all complicit?
We are looking for someone who:
– is interested in being in dialogue with HMK and think together with us as we develop a space (floor, stairs, walls, furniture…) and ethics of care;
– likes to think critically and can materialise and put thoughts into practice;
– can be present on site in Hoorn for the larger part of the residency.
Keeping this in mind, we offer the following:
– 6 week residency (1 September to 15 October 2019) in the guest house and chapel of HMK.
– Full and free use of all accommodation, living, and working facilities (wireless internet, washing machine, basic tools, audio & video equipment). The guest house accommodates two people comfortably.
– Curatorial and production support from the HMK team.
– A modest fee and production budget of €3000,- with the possibility of additional funding.
– A chance to experiment freely and develop your practice.
Submit your application by filling on the online form.
Deadline for application: 15 July
Selection will be made by end of July
*Tender Loving Care.