Hotel Maria Kapel in Hoorn is looking for board members for an indefinite period.
Vacancy for an unpaid position.
± 6 meetings per year + 2 to 4 hours a month.
About Hotel Maria Kapel
Stichting Hotel Maria Kapel (HMK) is an artist-in-residence, exhibition space and cinema for contemporary art, located in an early sixteenth-century chapel in the city center of Hoorn.
Since its foundation in 2003, HMK has been a place where makers create new work and experiment. Through the residency program, HMK contributes to a better understanding of the practice of contemporary makers. For this reason, HMK gives the public access to the work process and artists enter into dialogue with visitors. In the program of exhibitions, symposiums, performances, conversations, screenings and other activities, HMK actively involves diverse audiences – from national to more locally embedded.
Hotel Maria Kapel is a foundation with a very committed board. The board supervises the policy of the director, the realization of the objectives and activities and the general course of affairs at the foundation, and applies relevant laws and regulations as well as the Cultural Governance Code, Cultural Diversity Code and invests in Fair Practice. The board is also an advisor and sparring partner to the board.
The board of HMK currently consists of 4 people, but one member will leave in October 2020. The role of chairperson is temporarily filled by a general board member. HMK wishes to expand the existing board with 4 new board members.
HMK is looking for a:
– general board member with an artistic practice
– general board member with a strong network in the local context of Hoorn/ West Friesland.
The members of the board (general):
– have an affinity with contemporary art;
– enjoy working together and can motivate and inspire others;
– have a broad interest in society;
– are interested in developments in cultural policy and funding opportunities at a local, regional and national level;
– have a local network, or wish to operate within the HMK network to reach out as an ambassador;
– have knowledge of the civil service and the advisory bodies of the government, both at local and national level.
– has knowledge and experience with regard to communication, public outreach and partner recruitment;
– has experiences and competence working in management and holding a board position.
– has relevant knowledge and experience in the field of financial management, such as support and control of the financial policy and in drawing up the annual accounts and budgets;
– masters the Dutch language in writing and speaking.
We believe it is important that the management of HMK is a reflection of society, in particular the art field and HMK’s target groups. With a maximum capacity of 7 members, we will pay attention to visible and invisible aspects of diversity with regard to, among other things, cultural background, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, educational background and age. If we cannot adhere to diversity, the vacancy remains open.
In case of maximum occupation of 7 members, the board has at least:
– maximum of three people who identify as cisgender heterosexual men;
– two persons with a bicultural background;
– two visual artists.
What does HMK offer?
– an organization where we value care and empathy;
– an environment to develop yourself and space to take initiative;
– an inspiring network of artists, cultural producers and critical thinkers;
– (travel) expenses can be reimbursed.
For substantive questions, please contact Falke Pisano and Minouche Wardenaar via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your motivation and CV by 2 October, 2020 to email@example.com. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview in the week of 12 October.